I have to agree with Lorraine, too. At some point we have to admit that the
latest 'first step' toward solving this problem is far too little far too late,
and then look for alternatives. Many people on this list have written about
them (and I think a combination is the only answer), but perhaps most
fundamentally we have to admit that the biggest problem may be 'international
environmental politics' (international meaning 'interstate'). That's why I have
turned my attention to alternatives (which have also been addressed by Lorraine
and some others on the list) that attempt to look beyond states to solve this
problem. (See my book, for which I have written a short learning guide to help
our students consider the real problems and a package of credible alternatives:
http://www.euppublishing.com/book/0-7486-3910-1)

All best,

Paul

--