Syma,

I recommend the work of Charles Moore on plastics in the ocean.  A short
video that captures the importance of his findings is available at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a4S23uXIcM.

For teaching purposes, I also recommend the visuals of environmental
artist Chris Jordan, who presents the scale of the problem in ways that
grab students.  A sample of his work is online at:
http://www.ted.com/talks/chris_jordan_pictures_some_shocking_stats.html
<http://www.ted.com/talks/chris_jordan_pictures_some_shocking_stats.html
> .

The effects of plastics on marine food chains is not well understood,
though pretty clear in the case of many sea birds and some sea turtles.
There is growing concern about the possibility that the vertical
migration of lanternfish and other marine organisms places them in harms
way in vast regions of the ocean that now provide a photodecomposed
plastic "soup" mixed with phytoplankton.

Cheers,

Monty

___________________________________

Lamont (Monty) C. Hempel, Ph.D.
Hedco Professor of Environmental Studies and
Director, Center for Environmental Studies
Lewis Hall 140
University of Redlands
1200 E. Colton Ave.
Redlands, CA 92373-0999