<snip>
 When I run the PVR though, I get
another browser window opening that looks like it's trying to connect to
127.0.0.1.  I don't get output from the get_iplayer script being piped
to the browser as I have seen before.

I'm running this on Win XP SP3 with all the latest Windows updates
installed & 3GB RAM.<snip>

I've been seeing a "blank tab/pane" for really quite a long time (WinXP.SP3; default.browser=Opera): used to see the piped output but just can't remember when that stopped.

The command window always remains open in the background with an error (failed to download a jpg? - I no longer notice it) and needs to be explicitly closed whereas I have a vague memory that it used to close itself. I watch the Task Manager to see what's still running.

Jon