In article
<caafm_yzbie08tvvnbzp+k+r81dvifbtaqauj_lvccskxtx1...@mail.gmail.com>, Paul
Thornett <pthorn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, that's funny. I've been playing Proms on the iPlayer site (nothing
> to do with GIP) and recording the stream with Audacity since the Proms
> started (as I live in Oz, playing and recording a live stream is
> impractical given the time difference).

> MediaInfo shows a constant bit rate of 1411 kb/s, a sampling rate of
> 44.1 kHz and a bit depth of 16.

Since the BBC will be using 48k for the standard streams (ignoring
'podcasts') that alerts you to "MediaInfo" reporting something which has
been converted after reception.

1411 kb/s is the LPCM rate for stereo 44.1k/16bit.

> If you then do the same for a live Prom, you get exactly the same
> results from MediaInfo,

if you do, something in your system *prior* to "MediaInfo" is farting about
with the audio and changing the sample rate.

Jim

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm