> > But there is a potential problem with [a-z0-9]
> > because it would pick out many normal English words,
> > for example, ironically, 'programmes' and 'programming'.
>
>  Again, forgive me for being obtuse, still learning things,
> but isn't that scenario assuming one actually inputs
>
> --pid="programming"
>
> into a GiP command? (and in that case, even if the string
> is validated as a PID, the playlist.json URL will not
> return any vpid for that PID, hence no download...).

I think what Charles was meaning is that if you were using --url
"http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xy0gl"; rather than a direct PID then the
code is looking for something starting with either b, p or w followed by
between 7 and 14 letters or numbers and the first thing it hits that matches
all that criteria is the word "programmes". Like you say, GiP wouldn't return
any VPID info but as it finds programmes to be a valid PID, it won't keep
looking for the proper PID in that URL so would never be able to download from
a URL.