Please see below ...

On 06/04/2018 16:07, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 03:01:11PM +0100, MacFH - C E Macfarlane wrote:

For many things, that would be true, but for the sort of big Hollywood
films that I mentioned, I doubt if there can be any doubt who the
current rights holders are. Apart from anything else, the original
rights holders are usually in the credits, and thence would be
comparatively easy to trace through to the present day,
You must have missed the bit

I didn't miss it, for the type of material that was in my original list, I just didn't agree with you for the reasons given!

And actually the original holders are often *not* in the credits. Most
works don't have the several minutes of lists of names that appear at
the end of modern films. And for content that is made for TV the credits
are even today very incomplete.

But again, not true of the material I listed.
                                                          and, after all,
the BBC must have obtained or be obtaining the media copy that they
broadcast from somewhere of known provenance, presumably from the rights
holders themselves, or someone acting on their behalf.
Wherever they're getting them from may not have rights for online
dissemination to the public, which just gets us back to the previous
problem. Broadcast rights and online rights are not the same thing.

Which was my original complaint, because it leads to the absurdities that I gave of 50 year old films not being available for download while other much more recent ones are.