On 16/04/18 14:26, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
Hi Richard, many thanks for the reply.

On 16/04/2018 13:49, I wrote:
I have just downloaded two episodes of the second series of Salamander from hvfhd1/bi (Azure?) at 148Mbit/s.  That is similar to the HLShd speed.  It does vary with time of day, and can go down to 60Mbit/s.

Wow, that's amazing. I never got much above 60 Mbps even with hlshd.
Are you using WiFi?  That will slow your connection.

No, the only thing I use wifi for is my phones. I'm old school, everything is hard wired Gigabit with a mix of Cat5/5e cables. I get 220 Mbps on speednet and, as I said, was typically getting around 50 Mbps on hlshd a few days ago (and nothing has changed hardware-wise in the meantime).

Since posting, I tried hvfhd2 and got 50 Mbps initially, but a while later it was maxing out at around 25 Mbps. I do most of my downloading overnight, so it's not crucial. I've rescheduled the timing of my download batch files and I'm forcing hvfhd2 for now, so I'll keep an eye on transfer speeds.

Hi Alan

If you are getting 220Mbit/s on a speed tester it seems your connection is not the problem. When my connection was limited to 100Mbit/s I was getting HLShd download speeds up to 70 or 80Mbit/s, and they have increased with the 200Mbit/s limit.

Speeds do vary enormously between CDNs and between modes and occasionally some programmes are slower. In general I have found Akamai to be faster than Limelight. I don't know about Bidi.

Where I am (and I think it may vary geographically)
hvfhd1 is Bidi
hvfhd2 is Limelight
hvfhd3 is Akamai

hlshd1 is Akamai

I see that the latest version of get_iplayer has a two-letter code to identify the CDN without having to use --info --verbose

Best wishes

get_iplayer mailing list

Reply via email to