There is a forum post
https://forums.squarepenguin.co.uk/thread-1835.html
by someone who wants to record a Law in Action programme broadcast in June 2015, b05zktnf. Its expiry date in the iPlayer is 1 January 2099, so it does not seem an unreasonable want.

The response from dinky is,
"As is made clear in the docs, get_iplayer only supports programmes broadcast in the past 30 days. It often works with older programmes, but not always. Try youtube-dl for those."

I was able to download it with get_iplayer v2.99. --streaminfo reported hlsaaclow at 62kbit/s and hlsaacstd1 at 128kbit/s, with the HLS streamer, both from Akamai.

I did not need to go back as far as v2.99.  v3.13 also worked.

The v3.14 release notes say,
'Removed all "hls"-prefixed TV and radio modes, except for "hlshd" (1280x720@25fps). Old values are automatically mapped to alternative modes, with warning emitted.'
That is not a lot of use if there are no alternative modes.

I was unhappy about the removal of Flash support before the BBC had abandoned Flash, but at least in that case we were given plenty of warning. I have kept a copy of v2.99, the last version to support Flash. Removing HLS support with no warning when there are programmes only available in HLS seems premature. What does anyone else think?

If the best response is go to youtube-dl, maybe it is time to do just that and give up on get_iplayer.