Forgive my ignorance but I am stuck with a picture size problem with old editions of Inspector Morse videos. These have been saved as .mp4 videos and are generally 4x3 format.

Given that my screen is a wide format screen I can accept that there will be black margins each side of the screen but the picture does not appear to be 4x3 but closer to square and if anything appears taller in proportion ie slightly distorted.

I have played with most of the controls I can find to no avail and seek help getting back to basics to find out if I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions please.
Budge