On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 12:54:20 +0100
Dave Widgery <dave.widg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly thanks for all your input,
>
> Several people have suggested handbrake, I did try this but gave up
> when it wanted to take 7-8 hours to do the conversion, I know my
> notebook is not particularly quick, but I thought that was a bit
> excessive, hence the search for something else.

I did what you have done very recently. Found some huge .ts files on my
NAS, 720p MPEG2 video, and wanted to reign in the wasted space. I
crushed them down by about 10x with h265, after a bit of experimenting
with that video codec and h264.

ffmpeg -i input.ts -c:v libx265 -x265-params pools=16 -c:a copy
output.mkv

All one line. The above will make the most of CPU cores, adjust the 16
if you have loads of CPU(s). The -c:a copy means the audio will be
copied.

On my i5 laptop the compression took about 18 hours, and I did one job
on an old P4... that took about a week!

With ffmpeg, it will default to h264 and I think AAC audio. No options,
just an input and output, will give you possibly acceptable results. To
h264 it will probably pretty damn quick - and h264 will use multiple
CPUs without being told to.

Nick