FYI,

I think the people on this mailing list might have opinions about this.

The BBC would like to break free of some of the restrictions imposed on iPlayer, like the 30 day limit. Their regulator, Ofcom, says they need to consult the public.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/howwework/accountability/consultations/bbc-iplayer-public-interest

[The BBC] think the results of this new offering for our licence fee payers might look like:

  * Longer initial period of availability for all programmes of at
    least 12 months
  * Complete series box sets for selected titles made up of new
    returning series and their previous series
  * More archive content

The BBC’s regulator, Ofcom, considers these proposals constitute a material change to the BBC’s UK Public Services. The BBC Board is therefore undertaking a Public Interest Test - an evidence-based process used to assess the public value of a change and its impact on competition. This consultation forms part of that process.

This consultation is open for six weeks from *Monday 7 January to Friday 15 February 2019*.