I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I no longer convert
to MP3. I discovered that everything I was using for playback was actually
able to cope with the M4A files that get_iplayer generates by default for
radio programmes (even kit that didn't actually list it in the specs) so the
extra conversion was not necessary. May be worth trying......

Cheers

George