Thanks Mark. Interestingly the browser version of BBC sounds and the android app are both still working. Presumably the intent is to block 'unusual' anonymous access. I've since set up my transcoder using TVHeadend.. shame I didn't do that in the first instance, but I didn't think I'd get snared simply by using their URL.

Sorry, when I viewed the 'contact the BBC pages', there were a lot of FAQ's and didn't seem to be an easy way to contact them directly, hence the question. I've since raised a ticket with BBC feedback and will report back when I get a reply.