On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 02:33:59PM -0500, Moses DeJong wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Martin Vogt wrote:
>
> Do you know about the smpeg project? It is also a
> software mpeg player for Linux. Check it out at
> http://www.lokigames.com/development/smpeg.php3.
> It is able to get about 15fps with pure software
> decoding on my linux box. It currently runs on SDL
> but a GGI port should not be too hard.

smpeg segfaults too much, and can't play many streams.
(It has other shortcomings, but that does not belong here :)

smpeg only use SDL as an abstraction for the access to the
X11 window, but not to speed up the conversion.

I think software conversion is a bad thing, (obviously
because its too slow)
Profiling shows me that 33% of my 400 MHZ are used for this
conversion.(YUV -> RGB)

20 % is used by X11 (why? I already use Shared Mem for the ximages)

Its really hard to believe,that Linux has not API to
do it on the hardware.

regards,

martin