James Simmons wrote:

> > For the latter, there is no elegant solution under standard Linux.
> > The closest interval a periodic task can be run at to check the
> > ray position without hacking the kernel (on i386) is 100 times a
> > second.  This can hardly give an accurate reading/signal.  So we are
> > stuck with either losing the back porch (using IRQs) or using a
> > different flavor of Linux scheduler (RTLinux, or maybe something
> > customized and collaborative with James's planned SMP resource scheduler.)
>
> You really need RTLinux for VLB.

Depends on what you want to do. As long as you can get an IRQ at the
point you are interrested in you're fine with the soft realtime
scheduling in standard Linux. Matrox cards for example can generate
IRQs on any scanline.

//Marcus
        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]