For those of you who mailed me about this and I told to wait, wait
no longer.  Sam (SDL author) committed all the sources I wrote at the
LokiHack to SDL CVS.  I've not had a chance to play with building this
yet, so it might have some bugs.  Please report any such to me (patches
are nice also) so I can send whatever fixes are necessary to Sam.

        Current state of SDL-GGI (bugs excepted):

* Keyboard and mouse work.  The keyboard stuff is pretty ugly but it
works.  Sort of.  The SDL and GGI event systems should be meshed at a
higher level than raw scancodes, which is what is what are used currently.

* Linear framebuffering and modesetting work.

* Hardware surfaces (SDL's DirectBuffer-like system) sort of works.  If
DBs are available after a modeset, the first one will be hooked to SDL's
basic direct-fb-access API.  But additional DBs are not handled, nor are
the Alloc/Lock/Unlock/FreeSurface() calls.  I've yet to find a suitable
target with enough fancy DB support to test this with.

* Accelerations do NOT work yet.  This should be easy to implement - SDL
has API hooks for these functions, just like LibGGI does.

* Threads, locking and sychronization primitives do not yet work.  This
makes XSHM (cube3d) somewhat unstable.  Again, this should be fairly
simple to implement by mapping the SDL primitives to LibGG equivalents.

* Window manager hooks are unimplemented.  This should probably be
implemented using LibGWT/LibWMH...?

        That's the lot.  Test it if you can, enhance it if you want to.
I'm way too busy right now to do more than basic patching and bugfixes.

        Actually, if someone out there would like to take over as
maintainer of SDL-GGI, please let me know and we'll talk (patches would
help convince me...|->). SDL is a nice system to work with, and Sam
Lantinga is a great guy and a sharp coder too.  Nice fun little project,
and a great way to learn more about some of the less public (but still
just as vital) parts of the LibGGI API.  Any takers?

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
        - Scientist G. Richard Seed