Hi folks,

as we recently discovered that we need a new release, I finally managed to
free up a whole evening (!) to add a few convenience changes I wanted to be
in before we scare away new users by seemingly nonworking things.

Here is what I did and a few suggestions what you all could do, apart from
checking that my changes don't break anything. I'm about to commit them -
should be in CVS in a few hours.

O.K. - the changes and suggestions:

> > What we should do though is to sit down and simply test
> > as much of targets and functionality we can.
> O.K. - I'll try a complete recompile/reinstall ASAP.

+++ Works for me.
??? List: Please also check complete reinstall.

> > The structs, checkmode, consistency and findleaks programs are a good start.

--- Haven't done much on that yet. List: Please check that on all systems
--- and targets you can get a hold of. Please report any inconsistencies.

> >>  * Remove _ggi_malloc and friends, use true error handling.
> > Too much work to do before release.
> Probably. A quick grep shows, that it isn't used much in the core, but quite
> some in the targets.

--- Pending. If someone with insight into the LibGGI internals has some free
--- time - get at it.

> >>  * Fix the LibGGI internals so that error messages are only printed for
> > Error messages for completely optional sublibs like
> > default/fbdev/kgi/genkgi.so are confusing and annoying to users. Also
> > we have some cases where a sublib probes for both devfs and old-school
> > device nodes and only mentions the devfs-style name in the error
> > message, which is also confusing.

> Yes.

+++ Fixed the devfs-style name stuff for fbdev target. Errors come in the
+++ wrong order compared to the probe, but I didn't want to risk fprintf
+++ changing the errno variable.
??? Folks: Please check that it works and doesn't cause more confusion.
--- Haven't touched the other issues yet. Anyone ? BTW: Don't remove them -
--- just make them DEBUG instead.

> >>  * Make input-linux-mouse parse /etc/XF86Config.
> > This should be done, as most people have X configured properly,
> > while few have a properly configured SVGAlib.
> O.K. - I can take a stab at that one. However note, that it can be in quite
> some places. RedHat puts it in /etc/X11/XF86Config, and seemingly SuSe even
> reads ~/XF86Config or ./XF86Config - at least for root (GRRR !).

+++ O.K. - done. Hope that works right. On my XGGI setup,
+++ XF86Config is just "decoration".

??? Please test that it works. Note, that it doesn't get used, if the
??? device can be guessed by looking at /dev/mouse ...

??? I now look in /etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/XF86Config. Anyplace else I
??? need to look for ? Just want to know about cases that aren't symlinked
??? to one of the already mentioned files.

> >>  * Make input-linux-mouse ignore config files with only comments.
> > Shouldn't be too hard, and would make it possible to install an
> > example config file.
> I could take care of that while I'm at it.

+++ Done. Files will be ignored, as long as they don't sepcify a
+++ protocol.
??? Please Test
--- Someone please add a template for $(prefix)/etc/ggi/input/linux-mouse
--- with only explanatory comments in there and add it to the make install
--- stage. The file should be ignored until it is edited to reflect the
--- configuration.

> >>  * Make input-mouse print a warning when too many packets are bogus.
> > Might be useful, but no showstopper.
> Yes. Just to be friendly to lusers ...

--- pending. Anyone ?

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        =