On 22/08/13 12:32, Austin Seipp wrote:
This seems acceptable IMO. The general working conventions already are
to separate whitespace and/or tab changes from a commit containing
actual content. If you ./validate cleanly, but the server rejects the
push for whitespace, adding an extra commit on top to clean up the
affected files seems very sensible (it's simple to 'untabify' and
eliminate trailing white space in most editors these days, so I imagine
this isn't really going to cost you a lot of time.)

You still have to validate the new commit, so it costs you at least 20 mins, which is a lot.

I also add bonus
points for the fact the server will reject it unless you clean up *all*
affected files you touched, so things can't slip by. This is how the tab
check works now, and it does deal with a 'range' of commits where later
commits eliminate tabs introduced in earlier ones.

We'd also have to introduce the concept of git into ./validate for this
to work (and add the ability to specify a commit range for stuff like
this,) but a basic implementation may not be difficult, looking at the
pre-receive script.

Checking everything in 'git rev-list origin..' is probably good enough.

Cheers,
        Simon

Alternatively, these could be pre-commit hooks in the developer
repository, but I believe you have to opt into that. Maybe worth putting
on the wiki, though.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Simon Marlow <marlo...@gmail.com