Ok, I buy the argument that if we're already compiling everything, we shouldn't have to re-typecheck it all in Haddock. Of course if you're *not* already compiling everything, then the argument doesn't apply: Haddock does support generating documentation from source files without precompiling them, but I think if you ask the GHC API to load modules with -fno-code it should do the right thing: load up the .hi files if they're up to date, or typecheck the modules otherwise.

So I think having GHC spit out the docs as a side-effect of compilation is fine, so long as we don't have to do all the Haddock processing inside GHC itself, and provided this eliminates Haddock's own interface files (which are a pain). If the docs go in the .hi file, then they must go in a separate section that is lazy parsed - we already do this for various other sections in the .hi file.

I don't think this is easy, but it's probably doable. The code that attached docs to declarations is currently part of Haddock itself, so perhaps this has to move into GHC.

Cheers,
Simon