On 07/08/2014 16:29, Ömer Sinan Ağacan wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to use LDV profiling features of GHC but I'm failing.
Here's what I try:

(I'm using GHC 7.8.2)

* I'm compiling my app with `-prof` and I'm also using `-fprof-auto`
just to be sure.
* I'm running my app using `+RTS -hbdrag,void` as described in the
docs.
(https://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/prof-heap.html#biography-prof)

The flag "-hbdrag,void" says "I want to restrict the heap profile to objects in the DRAG and VOID classes", you also need to give a flag to say what kind of profile you want, e.g. -hc, as in the example in the docs.

* I also tried adding more arguments like `-hc`, `-hm`, `-hr` etc. but
I got same results.

That should work. If not, please file a ticket. There is a ticket open for biographical profiling that I haven't looked at yet, but it seems to be different to your issue:

Cheers,
Simon

I feel like the feature is broken. I checked the test suite to find
some working LDV profiling programs. But as far as I can see we don't
have any tests for LDV stuff. There's a `bio001.stdout` which I
believe is related with "biographical profiling"(which means LDV) but
again AFAICS it's not used.

(I'm not having any different behaviors or exceptions while running
programs using LDV RTS arguments.)

Can anyone help me with this? Is anyone using this feature? Am I right
that this feature is not tested?

Thanks.

---
Ömer Sinan Ağacan