Here are my stabs at answers to two of your questions.

> • When/where exactly do Derived constraints arise? I'm not recognizing them
> in the OutsideIn paper.

I agree with others' comments on this point, but perhaps I can expand. A
Derived constraint is essentially a Wanted constraint, but one where there is
no need for evidence. They arise for several reasons:

- If we have Ord a as a Wanted, then we'll get Eq a (a superclass constraint)
as a Derived. While GHC has no need for an Eq a dictionary, perhaps solving the
Eq a constraint will help us solve the Ord a constraint. So the Eq a is Derived.

- Functional dependencies and type family dependencies give rise to Derived
constraints. That is, if we have class C a b | a -> b, instance C Int Bool, and
[W] C Int a, then we'll get [D] a ~ Bool.

- GHC says that Wanteds cannot rewrite Wanteds. That is, if we have [W] a ~
Bool and [W] a ~ Int, we *don't* want GHC to simplify to [W] Int ~ Bool and
then report that. It's very confusing to users! However, sometimes, (I don't
have an example) we need Wanteds to rewrite Wanteds in order to make progress.
So GHC clones Wanteds into Deriveds, and says that Deriveds *can* rewrite
Deriveds. Perhaps after a lot of rewriting, some variables will unify, and then
GHC can make progress on the Wanteds. Of course, all this cloning would be
non-performant, so GHC essentially does a copy-on-write implementation, where
many constraints are [WD], both Wanted and Derived.

While Deriveds *arise* for several reasons, they contribute back to the world
in only one: unification. That is, the whole point of Deriveds is so that GHC
will discover [D] a ~ Int and then set a := Int.

> • GHC has various kinds of variable and skolem (e.g. signature skolem) that
> I'm not recognizing in the OutsideIn paper. Is there a comprehensive
> discussion of them all?

I'm unaware of one, but here are some pointers.

- A skolem tends to be a user-written type variable, unifiable with no other.
If you have a declaration (id :: a -> b; id x = x), GHC will reject because it
won't unify a with b. a and b are skolems.

- GHC also has "super-skolems", which have a slightly different behavior w.r.t.
instances. See Note [Binding when looking up instances] in InstEnv. I've never
had to care about this distinction.

- GHC has several different types of unification variables (= metavars).

  * A TauTv is your regular, run-of-the-mill unification variable. It can unify
only with monotypes.

  * A SigTv is a metavar that can unify only with another variable. See Note
[Signature skolems] in TcType for examples of why this is useful. (Editorial
comment: I think the design around SigTvs is wrong, because generally there is
a set of variables a given SigTv should not unify with. But GHC doesn't track
this info.)

  * FlatMetaTvs and FlatSkolTvs are an implementation detail of how GHC deals
with type families. They are documented in Note [The flattening story] in
TcFlatten.

I think that's it, but feel free to ask if you run into more.

(In case you're wondering, I didn't really look over the design you're
proposing. I leave that to others.)

Good luck!
Richard