Sergey Bykov <captaintru...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm working with the #12822 task, which is a refactoring for the
> verbosity flag. It should be reimplemented in a way, similar to the
> 'optimization' flag. After studying the codebase, specifically
> *optLevelFlags*, I'm stuck with the following questions:
>
>  1. Should I add a new data 'VerbosityFlag' similar to GeneralFlag,
>     DumpFlag, etc or should I extend any of existing data types?
>  2. How to determine a set of verbosity options to implement? Is
>     grepping through all the codebase and adding corresponding options a
>     good approach?

As I understand it, the task is to split up the current -v<n> flags into
distinct flags. The current role of -v is described roughly in
Note [Verbosity levels] (although it references -ddump-most and
-ddump-all, which don't exist anymore).

Grepping the source tree (e.g. for "verbosity dflags") would indeed be a
good way to find the various places it's used. For now let's just add
the new flags to GeneralFlag. If there are enough that GeneralFlags
becomes bloated we can refactor later.

Thanks for looking at this.

Cheers,

- Ben