Forwarding to ghc-devs, a better list for this question.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Glasgow-haskell-users [mailto:glasgow-haskell-users-boun...@haskell.org]
On Behalf Of Sébastien Hinderer
Sent: 30 October 2017 15:18
To: glasgow-haskell-us...@haskell.org
Subject: How does GHC's testsuite work?

Dear all,

I am a member of OCaml's developement team. More specifically, I am working on
a test-driver for the OCaml compiler, which will be part of OCaml's 4.06
release.

I am currently writing an article to describe the tool and its principles. In
this article, I would like to also talk about how other compilers' testsuites
are handled and loking how things are done in GHC is natural.

In OCaml, our testsuite essentially consist in whole programs that we compile
and run, checking that the compilation and execution results match the expected
ones.

From what I could see from GHC's testsuite, it seemed to me that it uses Python
to drive the tests. I also understood that the testsuite has tests that are
more kind of unit-tests, in the .T file. Am I correct here? Or do you guys also
have whole program tests?
If you do, how do you compile and run them?

Any comment / hint on this aspect of the test harness' design would be really
helpful.

Many thanks in advance,

Sébastien.