I think this is #12088. The problem is that open type family instances aren't
used in kind checking in the same region of a module. The workaround is to put
a top-level Template Haskell splice

> $(return [])

between the two type instances. This is far from optimal, but fixing it is a
Major Project. See https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/12088#comment:15
<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/12088#comment:15>

Richard