Thanks Matthew and Julian! Unfortunately, trying out GHC before/after this change didn't turn out to be as easy as I hoped: to do my testing, I need to build a given GHC commit, and then use that via Stack to install ~140 dependencies so that I can then test the problem I have initially seen. And it turns out doing that with a random GHC commit is quite painful because in any given Stackage snapshot there will be packages with which the GHC-bundled libraries are incompatible... :/