On 12 Apr 2013, at 6:10 AM, Jon Taylor <dosad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Woops, I guess everything is in the SVN repository after all - I didn't
> notice the translate/ directory for some reason (I was looking for the GRT
> code).  But the tarball does seem to be missing the doc/, libraries/, ortho/,
> psl/, translate/ (the stuff in translate/ is in a directory called vhdl/) and
> xtools/.  Basically it looks like the tarball is from an older realease or
> something....

The tarball is generated from a release checked out via SVN. See the top level
README:

### Creating a source tar. ###
##############################

GHDL requires GCC to be compiled.  The exact version of GCC is defined in
./translate/gcc/dist.sh, in the GCCVERSION= line.  Do not try to change the
version, this may not compile or create a buggy compiler.

The GHDL sources provided on http://ghdl.free.fr do not exactly match the
files hierarchy here.  The later are used to directly build a compiler and
follow what GCC expect, while the former are used to do development and
are more logically organized.

Use the ./translate/gcc/dist.sh script to create sources to be included in GCC:
$ cd translate/gcc
$ ./dist.sh sources
# This generates a ghdl-VERSION.tar.bz2 file.