OK, well that's a terminology thing.  I meant export.  Why would you
keep exporting it to a JPEG?  I was saying what you're saying; if you're
opening/importing a JPEG with the intention of editing it and exporting
it, it only makes sense to save a lossless (probably XCF) before you get
started.  The criticism of ctrl-E writing to the original file seems to
be that you'll lose the quality of the original JPEG, but if you're
doing that without having first saved a lossless copy, your workflow
is... probably flawed.

--
Best regards,
Jeremy Morton (Jez)