In GEGL, the layer mode code is autogenerated from formula strings -- see
operations/generated/math.rb

The opacity behaviour is not documented there, but my understanding is that
the alpha of the underlying composite is preserved, and opacity only effects
how much of the layer's COLOR channels are applied (per the standard
blending formula).