Hi guys, I'm the Bruce that Peter referred to in the first post in this
thread.

I thought I'd share some feedback about this, but in more of a brainstorm
sort of way where we can just share and discuss ideas for what such a list
might look.

That way we can put the idea of creating it aside for the moment and better
evaluate the idea and how it could be done in a way that is appropriate.

So far the core issues we're discussing seem to be:

(1) how open does it make sense to be?
(2) can we do this in a way that is sensitive to the efforts of GIMP
developers, and if so, how?

* * *

*How open does it make sense to be?*

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM, peter sikking said:

- just thinking of what I can contribute to this list, I know
> that this list is _not_ going to be short. also because all the
> issues that I can put on it are ‘medium level to big-picture,’
> none of them are going to be trivial to solve. thus my hesitation
> is what this is going to make GIMP look like, and if the definitions
> of open worked where meant to stretch this far.

I think a good approach is to be open to the degree where it is
constructive and feels good, not just for the sake of it.

E.g. If you have personal notes for how things can be improved, you don't
have to share those notes--they're for your personal reference.

I have an idea for how we can have "public flags in the ground" in terms of
what can be improved (which are helpful for reference purposes, and also
for communicating "this is something we feel we could improve"), while
still allowing people to keep private, personal notes and ideas that they
can dip into and reference as it makes sense to (rather than just sharing
them all publicly).

I'll make another email after this one and you'll see a better idea of what
I mean.

As for the other topic of discussion…

*Can we do this in a way that is sensitive to the efforts of GIMP
developers, and if so, how?*

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM, peter sikking said:

- all of the issues that will end up on the list have been
> created by contributors to GIMP. some of these issues have been
> created 10 years ago, some of them last month. I wonder what it
> will feel like to GIMP contributors when something they just made,
> almost ‘immediately and automatically,’ (at least, feels like that
> to them) ends up on the UI issue list.

Well, I think one way to approach it is how things are communicated. E.g.
You can communicate things in a constructive and positive way (i.e. "here
are some cool directions we would like to go in in regards to the various
UI elements of Gimp"; sort of like the UI Brainstorm does), or you can
communicate things in a remedial way with a focus on deficit (i.e. "this is
broken and needs to be fixed").

I feel the positive approach is more constructive and also more productive
(and it also feels different). We want to inspire the GIMP community and
developers and help them be clearer about the direction the user interface
and user experience of GIMP is going.

In that sense, a list of current issues (which, by focusing on "issues,"
focuses on deficit) may not be the best way to approach this. That was what
we (Peter and I) talked about at first, but let's iterate on that.

Perhaps a better way to approach this is to have such a list list be more
of a vision of what Gimp can be and a place where ideas for how things can
be done can be documented for reference. E.g. There's a difference between
a bullet point that says "X icon isn't very good" and "Several people have
proposed ideas for how X icon can be improved; here are links to mock up
images that people created." Again, one feels different to the other and
has more of a collaborative, inclusive spirit that's good for the community.

*So, here's my idea:*

As you already do, you could allow people to submit ideas to the UI
brainstorm in the form of mock-up images. This keeps things
solution-oriented. The idea would be to have all UI suggestions and ideas
go through the brainstorm in the form of images that propose solutions.

Then, you could create a page at http://gui.gimp.org called  *"List of
ideas and proposed changes for the GIMP user interface" ** *(or something
like that) and have:

   - a sub-section that describes (or links to) the overall vision of what
   you'd like to do with the Gimp UI in a general sense (which helps people to
   be on the same page)
   - sub-sections that act as buckets for documenting submissions made to
   the Gimp Brainstorm so you have a nicely categorised overview of the things
   people would like to see in Gimp in terms of the UI, and also a pool of
   solutions developers can draw on.

The idea behind that page would be two fold:

   1. developers can go to it to get inspired and also see what can be
   worked on (in a UI sense) and basically pluck items from there and start a
   thread over in the UI contribution process for more in-depth focus on
   hashing out a solution that can iterated on and eventually be added to Gimp
   [assuming the UI contribution process goes ahead]
   2. people who are using Gimp (i.e. users) can look at the *"List of
   ideas and proposed changes for the GIMP user interface" *page and get an
   idea of ideas and solutions that have been proposed, and if they have an
   idea for how the Gimp UI can be improved that isn't listed on that page,
   they can submit an image via the UI Brainstorm.

This way things will always be constructive.

And you guys can still do your regular UI Brainstorm review--the idea is
just to document what is submitted to the UI Brainstorm as a way of
communicating what has already been considered, but in a categorised list
format that is easier to browse through (for people looking to see what the
state of things is and whether an issue has been addressed) and also easier
to pluck ideas from (for UI developers looking to start a UI contribution
process thread based on what they've seen on the *"List of ideas and
proposed changes for the GIMP user interface"** page. *
*
*
People could still discuss UI topics in the developer mailing list, but
"communicating ideas through images" via the UI Brainstorm would be
encouraged. Image submissions don't have to be perfect; just "sketches" of
what could be that:

   - communicate to the developers what the community would like to see in
   Gimp
   - give the developers new ideas
   - and help flesh out the *"List of ideas and proposed changes for the
   GIMP user interface"* page as a community and development resource.

** * **

Those are the best ideas I have so far in terms of how to make the process
more constructive, productive, and hopefully a nicer experience for the
developers.

I think it's still fine to document raw notes (like those found here:
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Evaluation_Notes_-_Photo_Realistic#introduction
),
(A) that can be done elsewhere, and (B) notes, by definition, are unrefined
reference resources that have not been processed. Notes may contain good
ideas, observations, and solutions, but those things--the "gold"--have yet
to be mined out, processed, and then displayed in a format that is more
useful and appropriate for consumption by the Gimp community and
developers. Curation (what and how things are said) matters.

Again, the idea behind the *"List of ideas and proposed changes for the
GIMP user interface"* page isn't to spotlight and highlight what's wrong,
but to help build bridges from where Gimp currently is to where it can go.
Then, when someone wants to help construct one of those bridges, they can
pluck out the notes on the *"List of ideas and proposed changes for the
GIMP user interface"* page and create a new thread in the GIMP UI
contribution process (if that goes ahead) and the actual development
process (for that particular item) can begin.

It's still possible that a new release of Gimp might come out and then
shortly after people post images to the UI Brainstorm with ideas for how a
feature can be improved, but when those images are reviewed and added to
the *"List of ideas and proposed changes for the GIMP user interface", *when
developers reference that page they'll see constructive ideas and visions
of what could be rather than "X icon isn't good," or "this feature needs to
be better designed." [Which aren't necessarily bad statements—they are what
they are—they're just not that helpful when it comes to what we're trying
to do.]