> Q: What is the tool that you use for Gimp development (ex: Vim, Emacs,
> Eclipse, Netbeans, Anjuta, ...)?

I use gedit and xterm, and then just alt-tab between them.

All revision control for me is done on the command line. Sometimes I
open up separate terminals for git-related stuff and for
building/testing.

$EDITOR is set to nano, which git uses for text editing.

Using a command line pastebin client can also be very useful at times.

> Q: Does your development environment support direct compilation (answer Yes
> or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or
> with plugin x, script y, ...).

I always build using the terminal.

(Gedit has a plugin to run arbitrary commands when you press certain
shortcut keys, but I don't use it.)

> Q: Does your development environment support code completion (answer Yes or
> No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or with
> plugin x, script y, ...).

No. I've used IDE's that did this before, and found that automatic
features like this don't really help me much - a lot of the time if
the IDE tries to be "smart", it just pisses me off and does something
I don't want it to.

I'd rather just type the code myself.

> Q: Does your development environment support documentation browser? (answer
> Yes or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or
> with plugin x, script y, ...).

I use firefox for documentation, in a separate workspace.

If I can't find something about the gimp or gegl api, I normally just
git grep for related code (function definitions, similar code, etc)
and read that until I find what I need to know.

> Q: Does your development environment support debugging? (answer Yes or No)?
> If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or with plugin
> x, script y, ...).

I use gdb in a terminal for that. For memory bugs I use valgrind.

> Q: Does your development environment support code refactoring? (answer Yes
> or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or
> with plugin x, script y, ...).

Sometimes I use find and replace within gedit. Not sure if that counts.

See answer about "smart" IDE's above.

> Q: Does your development environment support Bugzilla integration? If so
> please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or with plugin x,
> script y, ...).

I use firefox for bugzilla.

> Q: What are the special benefits of your development environment?

Simple to setup. Simple to get used to.

If you decide you don't like one specific component, you can swap it
out for another.

It starts up instantly.

> Q: What are you still missing?

Like elle, I'd like it if I could get gedit to have groups of
documents and open/close all of them at once.

gedit could also use a "Save All" button.

It's possible that there are extensions for this stuff, but I'm too
lazy to go looking for them.

> Q: Which additional comments do you have?

I've heard people say before that IDE's aren't popular among linux
users because on linux the entire OS fills the role of an IDE. I
couldn't agree more.

I like it when each application fills a single purpose instead of
having one app (an IDE) that tries to do everything well.