Hi,

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Alessandro Francesconi
<alessandrofrancesc...@live.it> wrote:
> You know what? I give up, for now.
>
> I spent like an entire day searching for a solution to this problem... and I
> "solved" it simply by removing the current mingw32 package and re-installing
> an version which still includes gcc 4.7.0 (luckily found on another PC).
>
> I can't really focus on a possibile solution, I've everything on the right
> place (GIMP-dev and GTK-dev libraries, in primis) and the only thing that
> changed was the version of gcc, from 4.7 to 4.8 branch.
>
> With gcc 4.7, compiled for mingw32 on Windows 64bit, I just run the bat
> command I posted before in order to compile every new version of BIMP.

Same as others, I can't help much without much information. I see one
thing I would do in your place though: have you tried completely
cleaning out all the compiled files first before recompilation? I
don't know which compilation system you use (autotools, cmake...), but
even though they are very good, sometimes they would not detect a good
reason for re-compiling. And I figure that a change of your compiler
version is a very good reason, and that because of it, the whole
project should be recompiled. Maybe there may be issues by mixing
objects compiled by different compilers.

If you use git, you can for instance "git clean -d -f -x" (be careful,
it would clean *any* file not versionned, even files listed by the
.gitignore. So be careful if you kept non-versionned files you don't
want erased).

> The resulting 32bit binary is put on the usual GIMP's plugin directory, no
> matter if 32 or 64bit distribution because as far as I know GIMP on a x64
> machine can run plugins for both the architectures:
> http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41353679. That's the reason why I never
> had problems in distributing a 32bit-only versions of my plugin. They simply
> work "everywhere".

But do you use the mingw-w64 project or the original mingw project
(which has no 64-bit support, as far as I know, and has different
features, I think)?

> On the other hand, if doing the same thing but using gcc 4.8, the resulting
> 32bit .exe is twice the size of the previous one and crashes when loaded by
> GIMP.
>
> @drawoc: your tip is good, but in order to use gdb I must re-compile GIMP
> with debug symbols. I've never done it before and I haven't got time to solve
> issues that might arise from this step under Windows.
>
> So, thank you. Maybe I'll face this problem again in future, but I'd like to
> deal with other issues for now.
> By the way, a new version of BIMP is out, if you're interested:
> http://www.alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp

Finally if none of the answers you get here help you, I would suggest
to ask to the mingw/mingw-w64 mailing list/IRC rather than here. They
might be better suited to help you.

But yeah if an older version of GCC works well, you may also as well
stay there for the time being. I myself use an older version of
mingw-w64 gcc, the one in my distribution repository. And I don't see
the need to install by hand a more recent version.

Jehan