I've actually seen "in the wild" a script-fu fork that would add
options for explicitliy creating widget columns.
AFAIK, author of that have never contacted the GIMP developers -
let me google around to try and find it -

Ah, here - someone had actually hacked the Python-fu to allow greater
control of the generated UI:

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9378

And as for script-fu,a couple of days ago, someone made a scroolbar
enabled version -
this is such a straightforward workaround for UI's getting larger than
the screen that maybe it
could be considered a bug-fix and go into gimp-2.8:

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9824

(disclaimer: I had not tried either, just saw the screenshots)

  js
 -><-