It would be better to have short-cut menu that corresponds to the layer
content. That way issues like this one wouldn't arise.

For instance, if I have a selection with matching ants, the menu would have
options like:
- fill selection with fg colour
- fill selection with bg colour
- stroke selection

IMO, the current short-cut menu isn't so helpful.

On 27 March 2015 at 15:16, Elle Stone <>

>  [image: Boxbe] <> Elle Stone (
> is not on your Guest List
> <>
> | Approve sender
> <>
> | Approve domain
> <>
> On 03/26/2015 08:16 PM, Ofnuts wrote:
>> It was also not so obvious to some more advanced users :) let's face it,
>> in a software with the breadth of Gimp, everyone is going to overlook
>> some feature.
> +1.
> For example, I looked for a long time for a way to save a selection as a
> channel - it's right there on the selection menu, but I didn't find that
> option until reading one of Pat David's excellent tutorials.
>  And anyway you can't have all these clever little things
>> jump in your face when you start using the application, that would be
>> information overload. Better find/learn about them little by little when
>> the need arises.
> +1.
> I can think of three different groups of users for "when the need arises":
> 1. People who are learning about image editing at the same time that they
> are learning to use GIMP.
> 2. People who are very experienced at using GIMP, and still don't know
> where all the shortcuts and tools are hiding (that they would use if they
> knew about them, nobody uses everything GIMP provides).
> 3. People who are very experienced at editing images using other software,
> who:
> * Already know how to use much of what GIMP offers, but might not have an
> easy time finding where GIMP stores the equivalent tools and options.
> * Of course have no clue about GIMP algorithms and tools that *aren't*
> available in whatever software they might have used in the past.
> Anyone have any idea how many current GIMP users fall into the third
> category? I'm an ex-PhotoShop user (and before that Corel software). I
> found using GIMP to be pretty intuitively obvious, except I'm still
> discovering basic stuff like "how do I save a selection as a channel".

D/Insp. BUPE Joseph
*Data Protection Officer, INTERPOL NCB Lusaka*

*Zambia Police Service Headquarters,*
*Criminal Investigation Department,**P.O. Box 50104, Lusaka*

*Officer Phone/Fax*: + 260 211 255218
gimp-developer-list mailing list