On 03/27/2015 09:59 AM, Joseph Bupe wrote:
It would be better to have short-cut menu that corresponds to the layer
content. That way issues like this one wouldn't arise.
For instance, if I have a selection with matching ants, the menu would
have options like:
- fill selection with fg colour
- fill selection with bg colour
- stroke selection
IMO, the current short-cut menu isn't so helpful.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "short-cut menu that
corresponds to the layer content".
There are many things that the user might want to do next after making a
selection, and what might be "obviously the next move" for one person's
workflow might not ever be done in the next person's workflow.
I use selections a lot. After making a selection I might:
- invert or feather the selection
- turn the selection into a mask
- save the selection as a channel
- use channels to modify the selection
- apply Curves or Levels to the selected area
- paint on a mask confining the brush strokes to the selected area
- use the Clone tool confined to the selected area
- blur the selected area
and so on. Filling a selected area with a color is pretty much at the
bottom of the list of actions I might take after making a selection.
GIMP's menu is complicated because GIMP provides many tools. Efforts to
simplify or modify the current menu would need to account for many
gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: firstname.lastname@example.org
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list