On 03/28/2015 02:54 PM, Gez wrote:
El sáb, 28-03-2015 a las 05:28 -0400, Elle Stone escribió:
On 03/27/2015 10:45 PM, Gez wrote:
It seems reasonable to require an extra click for committing extra
options and having the most commonly used option accessed quickly,
without interruptions to the workflow.

What's the most commonly used option for a new layer varies from user to
user. When I make a new layer, almost always it's either the foreground
color or white.

Furthermore, creating a new empty layer and then dragging the foreground
or background color from the toolbar swatch to the image takes exactly
the same time and effort (maybe less) than selecting the same option in
the current dialog.

What you just described - shift-click the new layer button plus dragging the foreground/background color - works perfectly, MUCH better than using the new layer dialog. Thanks! Many thanks!! By comparision, using the new layer dialog really is cumbersome.

That's when hints like tooltips and text in the status bar come in, and
I don't think it's a bad thing to use them.

The tooltips pop up only after the user hovers over the New layer icon for a couple seconds. On the one hand, this tooltip delay is necessary to prevent the UI from becoming excessively distracting from tooltips popping up all over the place. On the other hand, though I'm sure I hovered over all the buttons and icons at some point in the past, I didn't remember that particular tooltip. I had to search around to figure out where to "shift-click".

Where's the documentation for these two shortcuts? I did a quick internet search and didn't find any tutorials or documentation regarding "shift-click" plus "drag the color".

--
Elle