Hi,

please don’t get me wrong, I don’t like software bundled with adware, toolbars
or anything like that.

But...

> An acceptable approach would be to provide a method for *any* project to
> cease hosting at any SourceForge site if desired, including the ability to:
>

> * completely remove the project and URLs permanently, and not allow any
>  other projects to take its place
>
> * remove any hosted files from the service, and not maintain mirrors
>  serving installers or files differing from those provided by the
>  project or wrap those in any way
>
> * provide permanent HTTP redirects (301) to any other location as
>  desired by the project

… how do these statements comply to the GPL?

Doesn’t the GPL give everybody the rights to redistribute GPL’ed software in
binary form as long as they fulfill the other requirements (providing source
code)?

IMO, claiming not to set up a mirror with GPL’ed software for redistribution
and not allowing other projects to redistribute GPL’ed software is AFAIK not
compliant with the GPL. Even bundling GPL’ed software with proprietary software
is possible as long as its not linked against GPL’ed libs.

So how can a project which develops and publishes GPL’ed software ask somebody
to give up the rights the GPL grants?

Or am I missing the point?

Regards
Simone Karin