On Sun, 2015-06-14 at 19:05 -0300, Rodrigo Severo wrote:
> Hi,
> The "Auto" button on the Levels dialog has a fixed behaviour today
> (which I don't know exactly which is).

The source code is available -- essentially it stretches contrast in
each R, G, B channel separately. If you press Auto and then open as
curves, you can see. The end points are, however, a few percent in
from the ends, limiting its usefulness in a professional setting.

> Its behaviour should be configurable by the user.
The point of it is that it "just works". An auto button should not be

I think really what you are asking for is a "stretch contrast" filter
that has configurable black and white points.

Note that you can already configure the black and white points in
levels using the eye dropper.

> The user interface for this functionality could be accessed by the
user double clicking the "Auto" button.

That would be a "no" :-)  There aren't any other buttons that behave
differently when you double-click on them (and actually for good
reason, as no-one would ever guess it, and because it would mean every
button would have to wait to see whether the user double-clicked
before doing anything, giving a UI feeling of slowness.

I'm supportive of being able to set the levels/auto clipping
percentage, perhaps in the Colours/Map/Stretch Contrast GEGL filter.

Liam R. E. Quin <l...@holoweb.net>

gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    gimp-developer-list@gnome.org