On 31 December 2015 at 13:35, Elle Stone <ellest...@ninedegreesbelow.com>

> Are there any image viewers for Linux that can display openexr and
> floating point tiffs? What about GIMP 2.9 XCF files?

The image processing package I maintain will do most of the scientific
formats, including openexr, float tiff, matlab, fits, analyze, dicom and
openslide. It can also load via libMagick, so it should support XCF, though
I don't know if it'll do 2.9 XCF. It has quite fancy colour management, and
supports complex and double-precision images too. I use it for medical

The GUI is called nip2, so "sudo apt-get install nip2", or the gentoo

To view an image, run "nip2 thing.tif", or start nip2 and drag a file in,
or use File / Open. You'll see a workspace with a thumbnail of your image
as "A1". Doubleclick on the thumbnail to open a view window.

The image may be too dark or too light, click View / Toolbar / Display
Control to add a couple of sliders to the window. The left one sets the
scale (it's log), the right the offset. There's a gear menu at the left
which turns false colour on or off and controls how the colorimetric tags
are interpreted. View / Toolbar / Status is useful too.

The main window is rather like a spreadsheet: you can type in formula and
link cells and they all recalculate. Try "A1 * 1000", for example, or click
Toolkits / Widgets / Scale and try "A1 * A2". There's a quick intro to the
program in the manual:

Please mail me if you have any questions, or use the github tracker:

gimp-developer-list mailing list