On Sat, 2 Jan 2016, Elle Stone wrote:

Is the GIMP 2.9 XCF file format? API? (not sure what the right phrase is) stable enough that it makes sense to hope that other applications like digiKam and various other file browsers and image viewers could start showing thumbnails?

For example, digiKam can create thumbnails for 2.8 XCF files but not for 2.9 XCF files.

I'd like to ask the digiKam devs to provide support for showing a thumbnail for GIMP 2.9 XCF files. But if the XCF files are likely to change substantially before 2.10 is released, maybe now is not a good time.

Digikam actually has't got to implement anything itself for that to work. The thumbnails are
generated by KIO plugin, the full image view by QImageIO plugins. Check
git://anongit.kde.org/kimageformats for the imageio plugins (I should move the Krita imageio
plugins there...) and
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kio-extras.git&a=tree&h=d2127aa55d72bfde4c269c75a91a721159548ff6&hb=3d8409f93830cb9bf658bd0648b7b1db3dd5c684&f=thumbnail
 for the thumbnailers.

--