> Therefore, I will
> probably still to work with the 2.6.11 version on.
> For this reason I will Gimp 2.8.16 uninstalled.

I suppose that many users returned back to 2.6 for this reason.
There should be a clear warning that saving is still possible, only it was renamed to "overwrite". IMO, the intention of the authors was to educate the users and remind them that at the opening of a file, the data are internally converted to the working format, and at the saving they are converted back to original format. But this intention missed its goal, because the user is not informed what and why was changed, and when he sees that the application behaves in a weird and user-unfriendly way, then the simplest solution is to downgrade back to the last sane version.