Sounds good to me. I'm more than capable of choosing the correct file
extension(s) and settings for myself. I think it's beneficial to have those
settings already intelligently defaulted to when saving. I believe it will
save some clicking in most workflows. Also good that it can be turned on
and off in settings. I'd keep the warning about not having saved an .xcf
file of the current doc when closing if there is indeed data to be lost.
That will have the same effect as the current [Sorry, you can't Save to a
jpeg, please use export instead] warning screen. When I type a file
extension, GIMP knows what I want to happen. It should do it dutifully,
then warn me at a later time that I should save my project construction
file before closing it.

+1 from me.

-C