Hi!

I’m not sure to understand what you mean by "if these could save to
high-bit-depth XCF directly, that would be even nicer”, but what I can say is
that photoflow works as a “native” plug-in, in the sense that it does not call
an external program, and it copies the output into the GEGL buffer of a newly
created GIMPO image.

The code is very similar to UFraw in this respect, except that the image data
is passed in 32-bits floating point format.

Hope this helps.