On 06/04/2016 12:12 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Probably 90% of commits are done by a single person who is already
overworked. What re-evaluation are you talking about? Is this
discussion for real?

You mean Mitch. Mitch is the heart and soul of GIMP. Without Mitch, where would GIMP be?

Mitch has written a *lot* of new color management code over the last several years, and it's excellent. I watch for new color management code as it's committed to git, and I try really hard to pick holes in the code from the point of view of "does it work", and Mitch's code works.

I don't know how many of you realize the color picking tools are now color-managed and the code works perfectly, except for an issue with colors that the user might like to pick that are outside the sRGB color gamut.

I certainly couldn't have written that code. In fact I tried to several times over the last year and made no progress at all.

I can't help but notice how much of the GIMP color management code deals with the switches between linearized RGB (linearized from the sRGB TRC) and perceptually uniform RGB (meaning the sRGB TRC).

Writing color management code would surely be easier if the babl flip-related code were stripped out of babl/GEGL/GIMP. I rather suspect a lot of the rest of the code also would be simpler to write.

Best,
Elle