Hi!

I am facing a problem when trying to build a GIMP AppImage that bundles python
to allow running the python-based plug-ins.

As far as I understand, GIMP takes the python executable specified in

    PREFIX/lib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/pygimp.interp

where the executable path has to be specified with an absolute way (otherwise
GIMP throws an error “Bad binary format string in interpreter file …”).

However, in the AppImage case the absolute path into which the package is
extracted is random, and is only known after the AppImage has ben actually
started. Moreover, configuration files inside the AppImage bundle cannot be
modified because they are read-only.

Hence my question: is there a way to dynamically specify the path to the python
interpreter? In such situations one would typically use environment variables,
but there seems to be no way in this case…

Thanks a lot in advance!