Hello,

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 6:03 PM, Kevin Cozens <ke...@ve3syb.ca> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> The subject line of this message is the short version of this email.

A bit of git log searching gives the response to this:

commit b249a998aaa57fc85975dc5dd14088f125a82930
Author: Michael Natterer <mi...@gimp.org>
Date:   Mon Nov 7 16:00:52 2016 +0100

    Bug 763214 - Wrong rendering of shadings in PDF imports...

    ...(in libpoppler -> requires a more recent version)

    Require libpoppler >= 0.44.0 which contains a fix for this bug.

> The git master version of GIMP requires the 0.44 version of poppler. That
> version is not available for the 18.3 (latest) version of Linux Mint. I

Note that git *master* is not supposed to follow whatever is in the
stable distributions. We may have some advance, which is normal for a
development version. If ever we limited ourselves to what is in any
distribution *currently*, then *that* would be the start for problems.

In any case, as a general rule, it is better to have state-of-the art
versions of everything since they are supposed to get better (but for
exception and regression bugs).

> modified the configure.ac file to require the 0.41 version of poppler. I ran
> distclean and a full build of GIMP and had no compile errors. I have not
> seen any problems running GIMP with this older version of poppler.

Yeah as the git message says, that's not a change of API or anything.
So it would work. But then you may encounter bugs in rendering of
shadings. Or not. We don't take the chance. :-)

Jehan

> --
> Cheers!
>
> Kevin.
>
> http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
> Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
>                                 | powerful!"
> #include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot