On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 3:58 PM, Ell <ell...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2018 15:56:12 -0400
> Partha Bagchi <parth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 3:49 PM, Ell <ell...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Note that the actual bug was the swap being used in the first place.
> > > I'm still not sure why you're getting read errors, though.  Since
> > > the swap shouldn't be used anymore (in this particular case) after
> > > the above commit, the errors will probably go away, but the issue
> > > causing them might still be there.  I'd try to set a very low cache
> > > size, in order to force the swap to become very active, and see if
> > > you're getting any more errors.
> > >
> > I should do this after update gegl and gimp, correct?
>
> Yep.
>
> --
> Ell

Sounds good.

I think your hypothesis that it's related to the zoom level may be correct.
I restarted GIMP with no GEGL environment variables. I opened image >
duplicated layer. I set the zoom level to 50.1% and I saw the same
artifacts. Then I increased the zoom to 50.5% and it went away.

You realize that for large images, it would be unwieldy to be painting at
that zoom level?

Thanks again to you and pippin for resolving this.

Partha

PS: Did you see the screenshots I posted?