On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 12:04 +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:40 AM, Liam R E Quin <l...@holoweb.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 14:59 +0100, richard brown wrote:
> > > "configure: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Missing dep: appstream-glib
> >
> > On my system i edited configure to require 0.7.6 (which i have) and
> > it worked.
> >

> For the record, I just checked current code and actual minimum dep
> (relatively to the functions I use from this lib) would be 0.6.7.
> I could set a lower value, but really the development is barely
> started on
> this feature, I will use more API soon so it may go back up soon
> anyway,
> and I'm not sure if it is worth just going back and forth on
> dependency
> versions.

Might be worth considering 0.7.1 or so, as that'll be easier for quite
a few Linux distributions. But i wasn't complaining so much as giving
someone a way to get GIMP Master compiled. If by 0.6.7 you meant 0.7.6,
i'd suggest using that, as it's what several rolling/testing
distributions have, but it's not a big deal.

Note for others reading this: editing the generated "configure" is
fragile, of course - it'll get overwritten next time you run
autogen.sh. This is what you probably want in this case, rather than
mantaining your own separate versions of files stored in git, to avoid
future problems.

> Note that I originally chose this version 0.7.7 by looking at Debian
> Testing,

Yup. And it's not that unusual to have to build newer versions of
things; sometimes i look at changelogs to decide whether to do that or
to try & use the slightly older version, as here. Usually the Linux
distribution i use -- Mageia Linux -- catches up with (or is sometimes
ahead of) Debian Testing.

liam (slave ankh)

--
Liam Quin, https://www.holoweb.net/liam/cv/
Available for XML/Document/Information Architecture/