Hi Owen,

thanks for your email.

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 00:53:43 +0100
Owen <owen.c...@gmx.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks for the suggestion, Ed! I shall try that.
> > >

> > This was now implemented: https://travis-ci.org/shlomif/App-gimpgitbuild/ -
> > thanks. It took me half a day, and I ended up skipping the build of gimp
> > git master itself (due to the fact it required some newer deps). It
> > inspired a feature in gimpgitbuild 0.8.0 .
>

> Thanks again and it built right to the end of gimp. But;
>
> I suspect the following is relevant only to Ubuntu-19.10;
>
> To get past libmypaint build not finding automake, I needed to;
>
>  a.  Remove the symbolic links /etc/alternatives/automake and
> /etc/alternatives/aclocal (the /etc/alternatves linked back to the 1.16
> versions in /usr/bin b.  Copy automake-1.16 and aclocal-1.16 to 1.13 version
>  c.  link the 1.13 versions to automake and aclocal
>
> There is probably an easier way to do this. However "it worked"
>
> Gimp then built to "Success" but running the app,
>
> # apps/graphics/gimp-devel/bin/gimp-2.99: error while loading shared
> libraries: libgimpbase-3.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
>
> Vaguely remember having to set up some environment variable and will later
> try;
>
>   # export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/owen/apps/graphics/gimp-devel/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> but maybe that needs to be added to the 0.8.0 version

Thanks for trying again and for your patience.

I believe that the need to set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH for running gimp, is a problem
with gimp's meson-based build system (or with that version of meson itself) and
ought to be fixed there. But I may be wrong.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
My Favourite FOSS - https://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/favourite/

And truth be told, I miss you.
And truth be told, I’m lying.
    — The All American Rejects, “Gives You Hell”