Lourens Veen wrote:

[snip]
> A solution if this turns out to be the case would be to enlarge the
> bounding rectangle on all sides by the blur radius, or to simply count
> pixels outside the bounding box as 128, 128, 128 as well.

I just realised there's no 128,128,128 grey value involved ofcourse, it
just takes the pixels from the rest of the image outside the selection.
At any rate, I still think it should also take pixels outside of the
bounding rect into account.

Also a bit of an explanation for this weird post, this problem was
posted on the GimpI gimp-art mailinglist, and I cross-posted my reply,
that's why it starts halfway a thread.

Lourens