On 1 Jun 2001, at 8:14, Seth Burgess wrote:

> > If you guys decide to program a Bucket Fill
> > function that always fills the whole
> > selection, then the interface should mirror
> > this: once a user has made a selection and then
> > doubleclicks on the Bucket Fill icon to
> > conjure up the Bucket Fill dialog, the threshold
> > should be put to maximum (255) and grayed out.
> Thats only accurate for the one image though :(
> > I consider it to be a bug that there is a
> > discrepancy between what the program interface
> > (in the shape of the Bucket Fill dialog) tells
> > me and what the program actually does.
> In a case for more than one mode of image and only one
> tool, this will unfortunately always be the case.

Still, in a sequence of actions as I described (select --> Bucket
Fill dialog --> bucket fill) visual feedback will at least give me a
hint that something special is going on.

A better thing might be putting something in a (the) status bar of
the image window, but I do not want to propose cluttering up that

> > Second, I feel that (in the light of User Interface
> > rule #1 that says
> Users often don't know whats best - they just know if
> something is easy to use.

And often that is the best.

> Rules were made to be broken. It takes lots of thought
> and planning to make that happen.  We shouldn't be
> afraid of offending users by making changes - just be sure
> we're moving in the right direction.

That is why I said 'unless'. However, if no-one can fill in the
unless, the rule applies.

branko collin